- To help promote Indian culture (with a special focus on Bengali culture) within the local San Diego community, regardless of ethnicity and religion.
- To help preserve the strong cultural and social heritage of Eastern India and Bangladesh.
- To foster the spirit of sharing within the local community, while reaching out when needed to the unfortunates across the globe.
- Organizing 4 or more cultural events per year.
- Inviting internationally acclaimed singers, musicians, poets to help popularize the Bengali and Indian language and culture.
- Whenever possible, react rapidly to any natural disasters or prominent social needs – national boundaries are not a bar.
Among its notable activities, Saikat has raised through various events:
- $2,500 for the victims of the 9-11 attack.
- $19,000 in 1999 for the super-cyclone victims of Orissa, India (in association with other Indian organizations based in San Diego).
- $1,800 in 2000 for the flood victims of West Bengal, India.
- $8,000 in 2001 for the 7.9 RS magnitude earthquake in Gujarat, India (in association with other Indian organizations based in San Diego).
Through its various social and cultural activities, SAIKAT has grown each year and now touches the lives of over 400 families in the San Diego region. Our various charitable efforts have helped make a significant difference in the lives of thousands of people in rural India.
- To streamline our methods towards significantly increasing our contributions for disaster reliefs and charitable causes.
- Establish a school, to promote and teach the Bengali language and culture to the resident local community.
- Raise resources to help build a permanent auditorium enabling Saikat to host its yearly events.
Constitution and Laws